This collection of rare training and PR films was produced by the Southern Pacific Railroad in the 1950s and Pentrex is proud to present them together for the first time ever! Early diesels, including E- and F-Units, PAs, and F-Ms dominate the motive roster, many in Black Widow paint scheme. Included are:
* Men, Wheels and Power. SP takes you on a grand tour of its motive power and car maintenance departments where you ll observe new car construction, including SP'sfirst dome car; visit foundries where iron wheels and brass journals are manufactured; explore the shops where freight cars are reconditioned; and visit stations and yards from Eugene to El Paso. 27 minutes. Color.
* One Spot System of Car Repair. The mechanized car repair shed at its Roseville Yard allowed SP to get Bad Order cars back on the rails fast. You ll see how the three-track shed and its automated systems worked, including a truly speedy truck replacement system! 12 minutes. Color.
* Progress Through Safety. Protecting against the uncontrolled movement of cars and engines is the subject of this safety training film. After looking at the fatal consequences of failing to comply with safety rules, SP operators are shown the precise sequence of steps to follow for securing engines and setting out cars on grades. 15 minutes. B&W.
* The Lost Picnic. The California Highway Patrol and the SP Safety Training Department teamed up to present this public service film that shows viewers what happens when crossing signals warnings are not heeded! 23 minutes. Color.
* This is Piggy-back. Southern Pacific had one of the largest piggyback fleets in the nation and designed its own rolling stock. You ll see flatcar assembly and specialized equipment such as refrigerator vans, open top vans, and sliding top vans. A trip to a brewery in San Francisco demonstrates how the combined use of truck and train made overnight delivery to distributors in Southern California possible. 23 minutes. Color.
1 Hour 40 Minutes In Color and Black & White with Hi-Fi Sound and Narration Full-screen (4x3) Format No region code; can be played in NTSC DVD players worldwide Packaged in Sturdy Vinyl Clamshell Case ISBN: 1-56342-260-3 UPC: 7-48268-00543-5 Copyright Pentrex 2009